Date of Visit




Church of the Sacred Heart



Located on the Plaza de San Ignacio, Malaga, the Church of the Sacred Heart was constructed at the beginning of the 20th century in a neo-gothic style, although it also contains some Muslim elements. The interior contains a number of altars and statues and some beautiful stained-glass windows.


The Church of the Sacred Heart located on the Plaza de San Ignacio was designed by the architect Fernando Guerrero Strachán in January 1907 and constructed between 1907 when the first stone was laid, to 1920 when it was inaugurated on 12th May 1920. The ground was bought for the Society of Jesus for the construction of a church.

Constructed in neo-gothic style, it also contains some Muslim elements. Shaped in the form of a Latin cross, it has three naves and is covered by a rib vault with a dome above the transept.

On entry, visitors can see the stained-glass windows around the sides and the rose window above the entrance. 


The main altarpiece is a transition style from the Gothic to the plateresque, (This is in the manner of a silversmith, was an artistic movement, especially architectural, developed in Spain and its territories, which appeared between the late Gothic and early Renaissance in the late 15th century, and spread over the next two centuries.) the style of the Catholic Kings.


In the central altarpiece stands a statute of the Sacred Heart of Jesus, the work of Valencian Francisco de Pablo.  Above that is a statue of Mary Immaculate. To the side are some of the saints who have been important in the spread of the devotion to the Sacred Heart.


Around the sides of the church are a number of altars.



At the end of the right nave is the burial site of Blessed Fr. Tiburcio Arnaiz. He died in Málaga, on July 18th, 1926, and was beatified on October 20th, 2018. His tomb is made of speckled green marble. Many visitors leave flowers at his tomb.  


To the side of the altar by the left nave is a beautifully decorated pulpit depicting a number of the saints.




              All  Photographs were taken by and are copyright of Ron Gatepain

  Site Map