The Church of the Immaculate Conception is located in The Plaza de la Constitution in the heart of Torrevieja. Completed in 1880 on the site of two previous churches, the two bell towers were added in 1907 giving it its current appearance.
The Church of the Immaculate Conception is located in The Plaza de la Constitution in the heart of Torrevieja and close to the seafront and harbour on the Costa Blanca.
Construction on the current church started in 1844 following the destruction of a previous church by an earthquake in 1829, which destroyed much of the area. The church itself was completed in 1880 although the two bell towers, which stand at either side of the main façade, were added in 1907.
The central nave is entered via the main door which is accessed by a small staircase. Above the door is a statue of Christ.
Neoclassical in style the church’s Latin cross interior is covered with a barrel-vaulted ceiling and a dome. The church is simple in style with a spacious white interior decorated with pilasters with ionic or Corinthian capitals. The church is lit by small stained-glass windows set at an upper level.
At the end of the nave is the altar behind which is the statue of Mary, the Immaculate Conception, the patron saint of Torrevieja. In fact, there are a number of statues dedicated to the Immaculate Conception. The church also includes a number of other statues over the alters along its side and paintings adorn some of the walls.
The church also contains a small chapel for private prayer and services.
When the author visited the church preparation was in progress of the displays to be carried around the streets during the Easter Parade. These consisted of statues adorned with flowers.
All Photographs taken by and copyright of Ron Gatepain